Statement Pieces: How to Wear them Confidently!
Statement pieces, jewelry & clothes, are so much fun to wear. They add a bit of flair to an outfit and make us walk with a noticeable “You Can’t Touch This” gait and look on your face; at least they do for me!
Hello, beautiful ones! I pray that you’re doing exceedingly well!
We’ve all got a pair of to-die for earrings, a gorgeous cocktail ring, a unique, bejeweled cuff bracelet, or a statement necklace that is so ornate we only wear it on special occasions. Personally, I love a piece of jewelry or an item of clothing that has the je n’ais se quoi appeal because they make a statement without trying!
SHOP MY LOOK
Forever 21 – Yellow Off-The-Shoulder Dress or This One | Shoptiques – Gold Coin Necklace (Similar) or Avenue – Heart Coin Necklace (Similar) | Just Fab – Margaux Shoes – Orange w Lemons) | Amazon – Gold Double Ball Earrings
There are so many reasons I love statement pieces. First, they instantly turn your look from ordinary to extraordinary and add freshness, elegance, & versatility to your outfit. Second, they get me out of my comfort zone. They allow me to be creative, bold, funky, eclectic and have fun putting together amazing looks. Third, they are the perfect tool to use to bring attention to areas of your physique you love showing off.
As much fun as statement jewelry & statement clothing are, they can be tricky when it comes to styling them and can make or break a look if done incorrectly. To make sure you get looks of appreciation & awe instead of the “What in the Hammond Brown Jennings is up with her outfit” look, below are my fail-safe tips to wear your statement pieces confidently:
Styling statement pieces can be tricky & can make or break a look if done incorrectly!
- Pay attention to the neckline of your clothing. Off-the-shoulder, strapless, v-neck, and scoop neck necklines give the statement piece the leading role.
- Don’t go overboard. Sometimes less is more. Have you ever felt you were trying too hard in an outfit? If so, you are. That’s your cue to make some adjustments so that the piece speaks for itself while being comfortable and authentic to your personal style.
Statement pieces should attract attention to you but still allow you to be comfortable & authentic to your personal style!
- Stay focused. If your statement piece is an accessory, i.e., jewelry, scarf, handbag, or shoes, wear neutral colored clothing so that it remains the focal point. On the other hand, if your statement piece is a piece of clothing keep your accessories elegant & simple so that your outfit can shine on its own.
- Switch things up. Pair casual & elegant pieces together for an urban, street-style vibe. Rock a cute tee with a statement necklace or bracelet, a pair of pumps or heeled sandals, and a fly handbag or clutch.
- Don’t be afraid to up the ante by wearing multiple statement pieces together. Pair a statement necklace with a bold pattern but keep the rest of your look simple. If you do this make sure you mix the patterns & prints correctly. Also, follow this rule of thumb for wearing statement jewelry: do NOT wear statement bracelets and rings or statement earrings and necklaces together.
Rule of thumb for statement jewelry: do NOT wear statement bracelets & rings or statement earrings & necklaces together!
- Have fun. Layer multiple necklaces, bracelets, or rings together. Play around with them to get the right combination and rock it! If you want a more feminine, less attention grabbing look, try pairing a smaller, daintier piece with a larger piece. For an ‘all eyes on me’ look pair two or more chunky pieces together.
- Proportions matter. Depending on what you want to be the focal point, make sure your other pieces are smaller, daintier, and classy. As always, let the statement piece have the floor.
- Scarves are your friend. Instead of wearing the typical statement necklace replace it with a statement scarf instead!
- Bright color & stripes make statement pieces pop, especially statement necklaces! Since these pieces are usually one pattern, you can have fun partnering them with color coordinated pieces, pearls or even crystal for more depth.
- Grooming is a must! There is nothing like seeing unkempt, un-manicured fingernails on the hands of a woman wearing a stunning ring. And do make sure that the nail polish color does not clash with the color of the ring.
If you’re going to wear statement rings make sure your hands & nails are groomed and manicured!
- Pay attention to details. Wearing the wrong type, length, size, color, or shape of statement jewelry or clothing can detract from your look. If you’re wearing statement earrings, make sure they frame your face, accentuate your features, and coordinate well with your outfit. This goes for clothing as well. Your tailor is your friend so don’t dismiss him/her. Ill-fitting clothes are not cute!
- Makeup & hair matter. Too much or too little makeup can sabotage your look. Balance is critical, so I suggest a clean, fresh, natural makeup application with just the right pop of color on the lips & cheeks! For the hair, drawing it away from the face brings attention to statement earrings & necklaces and tend to be more elegant.
Sisterfriends, what’s your favorite statement piece, jewelry, clothing, or both? What tips do you have on wearing statement pieces? Can’t wait to read your comments below!
As always, keep it Chic.Classy.Spicy.