7 Styling Tips to Slay When Mixing Prints & Patterns!
Hello, beautiful ones! I pray that you’re doing exceedingly well!
I love mixing prints & patterns so you can only imagine how happy I am that it is all the rage these days. I wasn’t always a pro at mixing prints & patterns though. Some trends are hard to master with total confidence even for the most fashion forward person; mixing prints & patterns is one of them. It can be a bit daunting for those who have not chosen to get out of their comfort zone or whose style preference is to be a wall flower. However, if you’re trying to jazz up your style, maximize your wardrobe and be fashionable the mixing prints & patterns trend is for you!
Mixing prints is easy! Get these 7 tips to help you slay this trend like a pro: http://bit.ly/2tm16N2!
Below are the seven (7) tips I follow to slay when I’m mixing prints & patterns that’ll have you mixing florals, ginghams, polka dots, and stripes like a pro:
- You need a sassy attitude and confidence in yourself while wearing your outfit to pull this trend off. I can give you all the tips in the world, but if you don’t wear your outfit with confidence, it’s just going to look like a kindergartner dressed you. Don’t let that be you!
- Start slow. Select one statement-making pattern or print and then lay out the potential pieces to pair with it. If you buy your items from the same store or brand at the same time or fashion season, this makes it a breeze; thank me later.
- Choose simple patterns and silhouettes such as stripes, polka dots, houndstooth & gingham. You can start by using a striped piece as a neutral as they play well with almost everything and then add a floral print.
- Stay in the same color palette. A guaranteed way to mastering mixing prints & patterns is to keep the pieces in the same color family. Make sure you invert the color if you decide to wear the same pattern when mixing.
- Mix pieces with different sized prints & patterns. We all aware that opposites attract and you can use this statement to select your prints & patterned pieces. I chose to do this when styling this outfit. I picked a top with a large polka dot pattern and paired it with striped multi-colored culottes.
As you select your prints & patterns to mix in your next outfit remember that opposites attract!
- Don’t overdo the prints & patterns. Work with no more than two prints & patterns at a time. Even the most daring fashionista rarely mixes three prints & patterns. Mixing more than three is a recipe for disaster!!!
- Keep the accessories & shoes of the outfit neutral & classic. Mixing prints & patterns makes a statement on its own. Hence, I suggest selecting traditional items to anchor the look. You can never go wrong with black shoes, delicate jewelry, and a structured monochrome handbag.
BONUS TIP: Perforated leather is a print & leopard print is a neutral!
I hope you have as much fun mixing your prints & patterns as I did with this outfit. It’s such a fun trend, and I love how it truly shows how #fearlessauthenticunapologetic we can be while showcasing our creativity in our style!
What tips have worked for you when mixing prints & patterns? What’s your favorite way to mix prints & patterns? Can’t wait to read your comments below!
As always, keep it Chic.Classy.Spicy.
SHOP MY LOOK
Shein – Multi-Colored Vertical Stripe Culottes | NastyGal – Polka Dot Top (Similar) or Here (Shein) | Forever 21 – Earrings | Target – Boxy Min Crossbody Bag | Charlotte Russe – Chunky Heel Platform Sandal (Similar) | Shoptiques – Gold Bead Tassel Bracelet | Charming Charlie – Ring (Similar)